Thursday, December 19, 2013

Builders Brick and Tile Supply Co.

F.A. Harris started a pottery works at Clifton Hill in about 1872 winning awards at the Melbourne and Philadelphia Exhibition of 1875. Three years later he started a new steam powered plant in Raglan Street near Hotham Street, South Preston, which he called the Builders' Brick and Tile Supply Company. The products included flower and chimney pots, fire bricks and pressed white and red bricks. Housing for the workers was provided in Raglan St near the kilns. He initially prospered to the point he could build a substantial mansion 'Baruna' in 1892. However, he was ruined in the depression, his company went into liquidation and in 1895 and Barunah was seized by the Bank of N.S.W.

The brickworks site in South Preston was redeveloped for residential use in the 1930s, with the clay pit becoming Cochran Reserve.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

State Brickworks Wonthaggi

In order to provide building materials for new construction, and experiment with coal mined at Wontaggi State Coal Mine, the State Brickworks was commenced in about 1909. However, the lack of local orders and the cost of cartage, the brickworks had financial difficulties and was sold off in 1914. this is despite the coal mines having been opened by the state government specifically to supply steam coal for ther locals, and the same government having control over railway cartage fees. State Brickworks bricks were stamped SCM, for the State Coal Mine which controlled it.

State Coal Mine brickworks (Andy Orr)

Chimney Specials

Special bricks were made for a number of purposes, such as plinths, chamfered corners, moulded widnow and door jams. Some of the more precise shapes were required for building circuar chimneys to fine tollerences, including curved and tapered bricks, sometimes with different arcs used fur chimneys which taper, tighter curves at the top and almost straight sided at the bottom. some tapered bricks might have been cut after pressing, but before firing, but many machine brickworks has a range of special moulds for the various shapes. The special curved and tapered chimney bricks appear to be a fairly late development, with earlier tapered bricks being hand-trimmed either before or after firing including the rubbed sandstocks of building arched lintels.
Curved chimney brick from Oakleigh Plaster works c 1946 (from David Beauchamp)
Tapered chimney brick 1946 (David Beauchamp)

Friday, November 29, 2013

Wire-cut, extruded, perforated bricks

3 hole perforated and 5 slot hollow
Most of the name bricks in Victoria are soft mud sand-stock moulded or semi-dry pressed. In each case a reverse of the frog, with the negative of the name impression, is screwed down to the bottom of the mould. The other main method of forming bricks is extrusion, where a screw forces the clay through a die.

While dry-pressed bricks were the norm in 19th and early 20th century Melbourne, extruded bricks, often involving repressing, were common in Sydney. Modern brickmakers are more likely to use extruders due to the speed of manufacture.
Such machines have been available since the earlier 19th century, and extruded bricks have featured holes through the body for as long. Problems with even burning slow drying and distorting of solid extruded bricks (which require a larger water volume in the clay) led to the use of dies which left holes in the finished brick. Three hole and ten hole bricks have been common in the past, but a diverse pattern of perforations have been employed.

However, perforated extruded bricks did not become common in Victoria until the second half of the twentieth century.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Darley Firebrick Co

 A brick works was established at Bacchus Marsh in 1893 by a partnership between Mr. Thomas Akers and William Wittick. In 1898 builder David Mitchell, joined the consortium to fund operations. The local clays were found to be suitable for high quality firebricks and so with additional money for expansion in 1902, the Darley Firebrick Company Pty. Ltd. was formed on the 9th of May, with David Mitchell the majority shareholder.
The  company changed its name to Darley Refractories Pty. Ltd. in 1982 after it purchased the South Yarra Firebrick Company, leaving Darley the only producer of firebricks in Victoria. Over 100 different shapes were made, including tongue and groove shapes for gas-tight seals.
Early Darley c1930s

Modern 1980s note code numbers

Ordish Fire Brick Co

The Ordish Fire Brick company was established in Dandenong by W. P. Ordish in about 1890. Ordish sold the business in 1922 and died in 1930, but the works appears to have continued production to about 1975, the company having merged with Newbold from Lithgow NSW in 1960.

As fire bricks were destined to be used for complex shapes such as kilns, flues, boiler settings, furnaces, etc, and they would weaken if cut or shaped after firing, they tended to be made in very diverse shapes such as arch voussoirs, key stones, chamfered edge, etc.

As fire bricks were a higher value product with less competition than normal bricks, they tended to be transported greater distances. Ordish bricks have been found in Tasmania.

Two Ordish firebricks - '26' denotes type

South Yarra Brick Co

The South Yarra Fire Brick Company was founded by Robert ‘Daddy’ Davies. It was the last of a number of brickworks to operate either side of Chapel Street near the Yarra river.  It appears to have been the successor to the Australian Gas Retort and Fire Brick Manufacturing Company Pty Ltd (sometimes stamped AR & FB Co.) established in 1869, and operated in Chapel Street South Yarra until the late 1930s, which manufactured fire clay goods, supplying to such companies as the Metropolitan Gas Co Ltd and Victorian Railways and Government.
The  South Yarra Fire Brick Co Pty Ltd operated in Chapel Street South Yarra from around 1940, manufacturing and selling a wide range of medium and high duty fireclay products and a range of refractory, airsetting and heatsetting cements, castables and mouldables.
South Yarra and Newbold (NSW) fire bricks
Standard house brick - assumed by the South Yarra Fire Brick co

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Austral Brick Co

The Austral Brick Company was founded in 1908 in Sydney NSW, by a group of investors and builders and became a major brickmaker by the outbreak of World War I in 1914. the company expended in the later 20th century to take in Nubrick and Clifton, and still operates in several states, with its Scoresby works the largest brick manufacturer in Victoria. Most Austral bricks in Victoria are likely to have come from the post 1970s.
Universal Common-500x500.jpg
current Austral standard

East Mitcham Brick Co.

It is somewhat difficult unravelling the Mitcham brick undertakings. Edgar E. Walker founded and later owned the Australasian Brick, Pipe and Tessellated Tile Company in Mitcham in 1885, (renamed the Australian Tessellated Tile Co. in 1895) which  began operations south-west of the Mitcham railway station in 1886. The Mitcham  Brick and Pottery Co was established in 1886 (also known as Staples brick), while the East Mitcham Brick Company advertised its prospectus on 27 August 1888, and was operating by 1889 from another site near the railway line. The East Mitcham company had difficulty in getting shareholders to pay their calls, and went to court in 1890, possibly winding up shortly after.

A.T.T Co Mitcham - probably 1930s

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Oakleigh Brick Co

John and Henry Goding commenced brick making on a site in Stamford road Oakleigh, on the 27th of April 1885, but the works seems to have operated spasmodically, closing down for an extended period in 1910.

Also called the Oakleigh Brick and Tile Company, and in 1917 a revamped company recommenced operating with H.F. Young, formerly of the Northcote Brick Company as  Managing Director. as an indication of the close associations between the various brick companies, shares in the new Oakleigh brick company were held by a number of other brickworks including Hoffman Brick and Potteries Ltd, Augustus Henry Holzer, Co-operative Brick Company Limited, City Brickworks Company Pty Ltd, Northcote Brick Company,  and the New Northcote Brick Company Ltd.

In March 1957 the company purchased land in Bolinda Road Campbellfield, for a brick pit from which clays which burnt to the typical cream brick colour of the 1950s and 60s, common around Melbourne. In 1965, Clifton Brick Holdings took control of the Oakleigh Brick Company Pty Ltd. , but by the late 1970s, the works ceased production although the Company itself was not wound up until 1985.

Oakleigh cream, c 1950s
1920s? red

1930s clinker

Friday, November 22, 2013

Clifton Brick

The Clifton Brick Company took its name from its owner David Clifton, and had a quarry in St. Georges Road Preston, now the Ray Bramham Gardens. It was formed in 1890, but closed down for several years during the depression before being bought by W. and A. H. Angliss and restarted in 1907. James A Gamble was manager of the Clifton brickworks in 1913, probably brother of Joseph Gamble of the South Preston Brickworks. 

The Preston pit closed in about 1943, but Clifton had other brickmaking interest. In 1952 they took over Hoffman brickworks, and in 1965 acquired a controlling interest in the Oakleigh Brick Company Pty Ltd although the individual brick stamps continued to be used on their bricks. Subsequent mergers saw Clifton and Nubrick form the Austral Brick Company.
1950s with prominent frog screw
1970s barred frog

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Brick and Pipe Industries

Brick and Pipe Industries were formed in 1963 though the amalgamation of a number of works including. By the 1970s it was the largest brickmaker in Australia. Its main brick pit and factory was and still is in Craigieburn Road Wollert, while its head office in Melbourne was Nubrick House in William Street.

Preston Brick & Tile

The Preston Brick and Tile Co. Ltd. was established in 1886 by Messrs. James Holden, Phipps, Jelfries and Thorburn. the woks was located on Raglan Street, between Hotham and Collier Street and operated until at least 1935.

Wilsmore Brickworks

Robert Wilsmore, and his brother,  J. B, Wilsmore, were described as brick manufacturers in 1887. A prospectus was issued in for the company in 1888 and the works was erected adjacent to Cornwell's Pottery on Albert Street West Brunswick. However, the company appears to have foundered and in 1893, it was put in the hands of liquidators. The works seems to have ceased altogether by 1894.

c1890 note backward 'S' in Wilsomre


Frederick Spear Senior commenced brickmaking in Victoria Road Camberwell in 1857 and was manager of the Hawthorn Brickworks in Camberwell Road until his death in 1884. Frederick jnr managed the works to at least 1915, although in 1904 the City Brickworks Co was described as 'Late A. Spear & Sons'

Fred Spear and Harold Spear both seem to have been associated with the Co-operative Brick Company,Toorak Road, and  City Brick Company, which built and owned cottages they occupied in

There was another F Spear Brickworks (around 1913) in St. Peters Sydney often spelt 'Speare', while Frederick W Spear is also recorded as Manager of the Adelaide Brickworks in about 1915.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Auburn Bricks

There was an Auburn Brickworks in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and America, but they do not seem to have been related in any way. The Auburn Brick, Tile & Pottery Company was set up in Princes Road, Auburn, a Sydney Suburb in 1905, taking over the business of the Duck River Brickworks.

Transport of bricks interstate was rarely undertaken because of the high cost. Brickworks tended to supply to local catchments, although when prices fell and competition increased, they would often undercut each other.

the Melbourne Auburn Brickworks was established in Auburn Road Hawthorn in 1909. the pit is now John Gardiner Reserve. Like Glen Iris, the company was hindered by Council bylaws preventing blasting, but continued to operate into the 1950s.

c1930s brick from Melbourne city Abattoirs

Glen Iris Brick Co.

The Glen Iris Brick Tile and Terra Cotta Co Pty Ltd purchased a site straddling Gardiners Creek in Malvern and Camberwell on 5 March 1912, but a combination of the council and the brick cartel blocking access, they instead leased land in Watt St Thornbury of St Georges Road for a brick pit.

The Glen Iris company also obtained a brick pit and works in Oakleigh east of Stamford Road (opposite the Oakleigh Brickworks site) in the 1930s, and later in Templestowe. Glen Iris issued a number of commemorative or dated bricks including a 1954 Royal Tour brick and 1956 Olympic Games brick.

The Glen Iris Company was bought by Boral in 1970. Northcote council and the state government transferred the Thornbury site to Aboriginal Advancement League by 1982.

c1915 early form

1930s? impressed letters with tally mark
1940s raised letters
1954 Royal Tour Brick
1955 raised letters
1950s coat of arms
1956 Olympic
1960s bar frog

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Box Hill Standard Brick

The Haughton Park Brick Company Ltd. was created aroudn 1880, with a works off Elgar Road, Canterbury. In 1886 the company changed its name to the Box Hill Brick Co Ltd., but it foundered in 1891 and suspended production in 1892. New owners took over in1905, although production did not recommence until 1911. Production increased in 1913 and the name was changed to the Standard Brick & Tile Co. Ltd.
1886-1912, but more likely 86-92 & 1911-12

1913-1940 (from a 1920s factory in Coburg

The brickworks were taken over by the Co-operative Brick Company in 1938, but it shut down production 1942 -1946. In 1952 the works was converted to electricity, and later taken over in 1966 by the Brick & Pipe Co. who ran the brickworks until August 1988, when the plant was shut down for good.

City Brick

The City Brick Co. Pty. Ltd. was established in about 1900, erecting a Hoffman kiln, and brick bress building on tooronga Road near Gardners Creek. The company appears to have been associated with the Malvern Brickworks. the Manager of the works in 1905-7 was F Spear, who appears to have gone on to establish his own brickworks.

Their bricks are embosed with a wide shallow frog and the letters "CITY", sometimes with tally marks including small letteres between the I and T, while some have "C B".
The Tooronga quarry was closed in 1983 with the company relocating to Scoresby from 1963. The firm was taken over by Boral in 1985, and the Tooronga site subsequently redeveloped.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Blackburn Brick Co.

The Blackburn Brick Co. was established off Whitehorse Road and Alfred Street Blackburn near the railway in about 1890, but soon closed due to the impact of the depression. It re-commenced operation in 1892, possibly when it was renamed the Blackburn Brick & Tile Co.) and operated sporadically over the next year. In 1893 the company contracted to supply 4,000,000 for construction of the Hobsons Bay main sewer.

It became associated (like many Melbourne Brickworks) with the Co-operative Brick Co Pty Ltd. in about 1926. the Co-op was taken over by Brick and Pipe Industries Pty. Ltd in 1966.

Brickworks Lane exists of Whitehorse Road Blackburn indicating the location of the former brickworks.

From a c1930s factory in Abbotsford

A probably later centre bar version

Footings of the 1890s Bellenden homestead Wheelers Hill

MMBW Sewerage Plan showing Blackburn works and clay hole 

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Barkly Brick Co.

The Barkly Brick Company was established by at least 1909, and erected presses and kilns in started a  clay pit on Weston Street Brunswick, extending to Barkly St. This may have taken over the site of William Grey's Barkly Brickyard of about 1859. John Grant was manager and Graeme R Ferry (of Ferry's Pottery) and  Frederick Thomas Hickford, were among the directors.

The works was also known later as the New Brunswick Brick and Pottery Co Pty Ltd in about 1957-9. Operations continued until about 1962, when the quarry hole was filled (with rubbish as usual). Subsequently the Barkly Square shopping centre was built on the brickworks site, and the land over the clay pit became car parking.

Two bricks from a c 1920s house in Brunswick

Friday, November 15, 2013

Gamble Brick Co

Joseph A Gamble originally started his brickmaking career with his Gamble Brick and Tar Paving Works in Glenlyon Road South Preston, which was operating by at least 1886. This works was still in operation in 1889, but was almost completely destroyed by a fire on 14 July 1892. Gamble does not appear to have recovered from this and in 1893 he was made insolvent. An auction was held on the premises on 22 February 1896.

Gamble eventually recovered from the loss of the Preston works to form a new company in 1912, "The New Gamble Brick and Quarrying Co Pty Ltd" and despite the commencement of World War Two, he purchased a property in Ferntree Gully Oakleigh win 1914 with the intention of commencing brickmaking. The works was operating by January 1916.

The New Gamble Company went into liquidation in March 1955, and in 1960 it was bought-out by Brick Industries Ltd. Under the new management the company was prosperous for a while, selling over 10,000,000 in 1975. Production ceased in 1982 and the works were demolished, with the site was converted to warehousing and the brick pit, which had been used as a council waste tip, was redeveloped into a public park, Reg Harris Reserve.

In the 1980s, brickmaking machinery from Gamble's Ferntree Gully Road works was installed as a sculptural feature in Brickmakers Park on the site of the Oakleigh Brick Company quarry hole in Stamford Road.

Gamble's brick presses and edge runner mill in Brickmakers Park Oakleigh

John Glew

John Glew learned the brickmaking trade from Thomas Manallack at his brickworks in Phillipstown  from 1849. He soon set up his own brickmaking business in Hodgson Street Phillipstown and then moved to Barkly Street East when the clay pit was worked out in 1860. He purchased Poheman's Paddock Brickmaking Company in 1866, and in 1871 opened another brickworks in Essendon. Each of these appears to have produced bricks of quite different character and colour. Glew retired in 1884, but his Weston Street brickworks continued to operate to at least 1906.
 Glew played an important role in enabling the development of the polychrome brick architectural style in Melbourne having been the first  to produce 'fancy white bricks' in the colony. Glew also produced white clay square pavers with 'J G' stamped on the bottom similar to some bricks.


Thursday, November 14, 2013

Arndt's South Preston Brickworks

Gottleib Arndt was one of the earliest brickmakers in the northern suburbs of Melbourne in the 1850s. He operated claypits near Hotham and Raglan Streets with Henry Walkerden as Manager. Walkerden and his brother were also associated with brickworks in Oakover Road Preston in the 1880s.

In 1888 Arndt's works was taken over by the Melbourne and Suburban Property and Agency Company Ltd., and in July 1889 by the South Preston Patent Brick and Tile Company, which did not survive long after the collapse of the land and  building boom. 

The Raglan St. site appears to have been acquired by the Glen Iris Brick Company as councillor and mayor James Adams, the General Manager of the Company, donated the site to Preston Council. The clay pit was filled as a tip and became the Florence Adams Playground.

Shepparton Brickworks

There may have been brickyards in Shepparton as early as 1858, but by the 1880s, there are regular newspaper references (including to a boy drowning in the flooded claypit) to the 'Shepparton Brickyard' in Knight St., which was operated by Drysdale from about 1880, Pomberton around 1900 H Thompson in 1914-16, and Tuttle from 1916-17. 

In about 1920 the Erskine Brothers (M. J. & A. G.) started the Shepparton Brick and Tile Co Pty Ltd., taking over the old brickyard and manufacturing dry pressed machine bricks with both "SHEPPARTON"; "ERSKINE" on the frogs. It appears that they were produced to a very similar pattern throughout this period, and bricks were sold in a number of regional towns as well as constructing a large part of post-War Shepparton. The works closed down in 1973, and the quarry hole was used as a council tip before being restored as 'Brickworks Park' off the boulevard, in 2006.

Shepparton bricks are stamped both "SHEPARTON" and "ERSKINE", with most being a soft orange-brown colour. the Shepparton stamp are believed to be later (c1940s-70s)

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fritsch Holzer

Fritsch Holzer comes from Augustus Fritsch and the Holzer brothers (Martin and Aloysius Anton Holzer), who formed the Upper Hawthorn Brick Company in 1883.

The brickworks closed about  and the site was bought by the Hawthorn Council in 1972 and used it as a tip until 1986, turning it into a park in 1996.

Reds and creams are common, and possibly the mottled browns for which Hawthorn Brick is known for the characteristic polychrome finish. Many bricks have one two or three raised dots, probably indicating tally marks for the separate presses, or operators. the style doesn't change, but there are subtle differences in the moulds, indicating they were occasionally changed or renewed. there are two separate pairs of attachement screws in the frog, larger ones holding the main part with the company name and smaller ones holding the tally marks.

Monday, November 11, 2013

List of Brick Companies

Arndts Brickworks, 1850s - Gottleib Arndt (Henry Walkerden, 1888-1926 South Preston Patent Brick and Tile Co.) Raglan & Hotham Sts. Preston "PRESTON" ?
Ararat Brickworks (T Traynor)
Auburn Brick Co. delisted 01/09/1935 "AUBURN"
Austral Brick Co. NSW "AUSTRAL"
Australasian Brick Pipe & Tesselated Tile Co. Mitcham 1889-c1970 "ATTC" "MITCHAM"
Australian Gas Retort and Fire Brick Co, South Yarra "AR&FB SOUTH YARRA"
Barkly Brick Co. Pty. Ltd. 1909-1962, Barkley St Brunswick "BARKLY"
Bendigo Brickworks "BENDIGO"
Blackburn Brick Co. 1892-1962, (Blackburn Brick & Tile) "BLACKBURN"
Blains Brickworks 140-150 Plenty Road
Boral Brickworks, Bulleen "BORAL"
Box Hill Brick Co. 1886-1980s  (1884 Haughton Park Brick Company Ltd., 1913 Standard Brickworks /Standard Brick & Tile Co. Ltd.; 1938 Co-operative Brick Company 1966 Brick & Pipe Ind.) "BOX HILL"; "STANDARD"
Brick& Pipe Industries (see Co-operative Brick Co. Pty. Ltd.) "B.P. Ind."
Brunswick Brick Tile and Pottery Co. (see Hoffman) "BRUNSWICK BRICK&TILECO"
Builders' Brick and Tile Supply Co.
Butler C (see South Brunswick Brick Co.) "C BUTLER"
Centennial Brick and Pipe Co. 1890s, Dandenong?
Chiltern Brick and Tile Company Proprietary Limited
City Brick Co. Pty. Ltd. Tooronga Road Camberwell (also Malvern Brickworks) "CITY"; "C B"
Clifton Bricks 1900-c1943, 21-27 Railway Place Preston  "CLIFTON"
Colac Brickworks
Co-operative Brick Co. Pty. Ltd. 1896, (1966 Brick and Pipe Industries Pty. Ltd.)
Corio Brick and Tile Co. Geelong
Cornwall Brick and Pottery Co, Albert Street Brunswick 1880s - 1920s
Creswick Brick Tile & Potteries Ltd. Creswick
The Dandenong Steam-Press Brick and Tile Company Limited
Darley Fire Brick Co. c1880-1990, Bacchus Marsh "DARLEY"
Dixons Brickworks 1892-96, Park Road Oakleigh
Essendon Brick Company Limited. 1884-c1898
Evans Brothers (Bricks) Pty. Ltd. 1912-1972 (Sold Oakleigh site in 1969) Park Road Oakleigh
Erskine Brickworks Shepparton (Shepparton Brick and Tile Company Proprietary Limited) 
Excelsior Brick Co. "E. B. Co" c 1908-1940 Chapel Street, South Yarra, opposite Malcolm Street "EXCELSIOR"
Ferry Pottery
Fitzroy Steam Brick Pipe Tile and Pottery Works, 1878-1893, (F A Harris,  1888 Builders’ Brick and Tile Co.) Collier St Preston, Cochrane Reserve.
Fritsch, Holzer, and Co. c1902-1930s Hawthorn "FRITSCH HOLZER"
Gamble Brick Company, 1911-1982 New Gamble Brick and Quarrying Company Pty Ltd. Ferntree Gully Road near Gamble Street "GAMBLE" "N. G. B. C."
Glen Iris Brick Co. 1912-1972  (Glen Iris Brick, Tile, and Terra Cotta Co. Pty, Ltd., 2 Watt St Thornbury) Stamford Road Oakleigh "GLEN IRIS"; "G. I. B. Co."

Glew, John, 1849-57 Hodgson Street  & Union St Phillipstown (Brunswick); 1860 Brunswick?; 1866-72 Poheman's Paddock Brickmaking Company Brunswick; 1871 Essendon; c1890s-1907 Weston St Brunswick 1890s-1907.  "GLEW"
Glenthompson Brickworks
Hamilton Brick and Tile Company Proprietary Limited (Gelnthompson?)
Haughton Park Brick Company Ltd 1884- (see Box Hill Brickworks)
Hawthorn Brick Co. (see Fritsch-Holzer)
Hoffman Brick Works  1870-1990 (Brunswick Brick Tile & Pottery Co.; Hoffman Brick and Potteries Limited) "HOFFMAN"
Horsham Brickworks 1949-
Jefferson's brickworks, Garfield
H Leigh Brickworks
Lilydale Brick Tile & Pipe Works Ltd.
The Macedon Steam Brick Tile And Drain Pipe Company Limited
Malvern Brickworks 1903-? 65 Elizabeth Street, Menzies Park Malvern (City Brick Co.)
Melbourne Brick & Tile Co. Ltd.
Mitcham Brick and Tile Co. (see Australian Tesselated Tile Co.) " MITCHAM"; "A.T.T.Co."
Montrose Brickworks
Mornington Brick and freestone quarries Co.
New Gamble Brick and Quarrying Co Pty Ltd, 1916-82 off Ferntree Gully rd Oakleigh
New Northcote Brick Co. Ltd 1886-c1960s? (John Roberts 1866 and Groom Brothers Patent Brick c1876) "NEW NORTHCOTE"; "N N" "N N B"
Nolan brickworks?
Northcote Brick Co.  1882-1977 Separation St. (Northcote Brick Company Limited) "NORTHCOTE"; "NBC"
Notting Hill Brick Company1889-98 Oakleigh Black Brick Tile and Pipe Company Limited
Oakleigh Brick Co. Pty. Ltd., 1917 - c1970s,  "OAKLEIGH"
Oakleigh Junction Brick Company (1912 Junction Steam Brick Co. J. Hendy) Dandenong Rd. Oakleigh.
Ordish Fire Brick Co. c1890-1975 Dandenong  "ORDISH"
Patent Brick Company  1870s -1884 South Yarra
Pioneer Brickworks "PIONEER"
P G H Bricks
Preston Brick and Tile Co. Ltd. 1886-1935 (Raglan Street, between Hotham and Collier Street)
Ringwood Brick Co.
Sale Brickworks Co. 1900s
Sandhurst Brickworks, Bendigo (The Sandhurst Steam Brick and Tile Company Limited) "SANDHURST"
Selkirk Brick Co. Bendigo "SELKIRK"
Shepparton Brickyard, Drysdale c1880, Pomberton c1900 Tuttle 1914-17, 
Shepparton Brick and Tile Co Pty Ltd  c1920-1970  (M. J. & A. G. Erskine"SHEPPARTON"; "ERSKINE"
South Brighton Brick Co. 1890s-
South Brunswick Brick Co. (C Butler) Albion St Brunswick, "S.B.B.C."
South Preston Patent Brick & Tile Co.  1888-1826, Milton Crescent off Raglan Street Preston, Adams Reserve
South Yarra Fire Brick Co. (AFFBCo) "SOUTH YARRA" "AF&FBCo.
Spear's Brick Co. Pty. Ltd. (Brick & Pipe Works Pty Ltd) "SPEAR", (F. Spear was manager of the City Brickworks around 1905)
Stamford Brick Co (parent  company of Glen Iris Brickworks) "S.B.C. Co."
Standard Brickworks Pty Ltd (see Box Hill Brickworks) "STANDARD"
State Brickworks (State coal mine, Wonthaggi) 1909-1914 "SCM"
Stawell Pressed Brickworks c1900s-1940s
Sweet ? Brick Co.
Thornbury Brick Works (State Brickworks?)
Upper Hawthorn Brick Co.
Walkenden Patent Brick and Tile Co. Ltd. Oakover Road South Preston Harry Swain Reserve "WALKERDEN"
Warragul Brick & Tile Pty. Ltd.
Warburton Brick Coy.,
Whittlesea Brick, Tile, and Pottery Co.

T H Widdicome, Portarlington
Wilsmore Brick Co. 1888-1893, Albert Street Brunswick "WILSMORE"  (backward S)
Wodonga Brick & Tile Co. Pty. LimitedYarrawonga Sawmill and Brick Co. 1930s
Modern Brickmakers
Bendigo Brick Pty Ltd Bendigo, Australia

Daniel Robertson Holdings Pty Ltd. 58-74 Station St, Nunawading, Australia
Phillips Bricks & Pottery Proprietary Limited 280-310 Mcivor Rd, Bendigo, Australia 
Selkirk Geelong Pty Ltd 630 Howitt St, Ballarat, Australia
Victorian Government Gazette Jan-April 1893
Di MacLeod & Ian Newman, Clay Industries of Brunswick 1849 to 1900, 1990
Miles Lewis, Australian Building, section 6 Bricks and Tiles:
Iain Stuart, Why Did the Hoffman Brick and Pottery Works Stop Making Bricks? Australian Historical Archaeology 7, 1989
lain Stuart, A History of the Victorian Brick Industry: 1826-1920, Australian Archaeology  No 24 (1987)
Iain Stuart, The Analysis of Bricks from Archaeological Sites in Australia, Australasian Historical Archaeology, 23, 2005
A Story of Brick, Tile & Pipe Making in Oakleigh Victoria & its context,
Ron Ringer, The brickmasters: 1788-2008, Wetherill Park, N.S.W. : Dry Press, 2008.
Bell, Geoffrey B.Sc & Victoria. Dept. of Mines (1962). Victorian fire-clays and fire-bricks. Part III., The South Yarra Fire-Brick Co. Pty. Ltd. Mines Dept, Melbourne
Alfred B. Searle. Modern Brickmaking, London Scott, Greenwood & Son "The Pottery Gazette" Offices 8 Broadway, Ludgate Hill, B.C. D. Van Nostrand Company New York 1911
Early Bricks and Brickwork in South Australia, Department for Environment, Heritage and Aboriginal Affairs & the Corporation of the City of Adelaide 1998 Early Bricks and Brickworks in South Australia - Department of ...

Butler's South Brunswick Brick Company Limited

South Brunswick Brickworks

The South Brunswick Brick Company Limited had its works near the corner of Albion Street and Henderson Street, in what is now Jones Park Brunswick. Founded and operated by Charles Butler, the bricks bare the frog impression of either "SOUTH BRUNSWICK", "S.B.B.C." or "C.BUTLER".

Early (1880s?) South Brunswick Brick
1890s version
1930s-40s C Butler - from the kiln flues during demolition 1980s.

Cream version (from the permitter wall of the works taken 1980s.

Part of the works was destroyed by fire in 1949, and the works may not have recovered. Most bricks bearing the C Butler stamp are probably 1920s-1950s.
Butler died on 11th December 1901, aged 73.

Old Melbourne Town by Michael Cannon,

From OnMyDoorstep (possibly via Trove)

Giuseppe Giudice at Charlie Butler's brickworks
 Giuseppe Giudice at Charlie Butler's brickworks