Gottleib Arndt was one of the earliest brickmakers in the northern suburbs of Melbourne in the 1850s. He operated claypits near Hotham and Raglan Streets with Henry Walkerden as Manager. Walkerden and his brother were also associated with a brickworks in Oakover Road Preston in the 1880s.
In 1888 Arndt's works was taken over by the Melbourne and Suburban Property and Agency Company Ltd., and in July 1889 by the South Preston Patent Brick and Tile Company, which did not survive long after the collapse of the land and building boom.
The Raglan St. site appears to have been acquired by the Glen Iris Brick Company as councillor and mayor James Adams, the General Manager of the Company, donated the site to Preston Council. The clay pit was filled as a tip and became the Florence Adams Playground.